Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Nostalgia

The strains of music float through the air as I wonder where the past four-and-a-half years have gone. It seems only yesterday that I had taken my first unsure steps down Scholars' Avenue awed by the presence that was the Indian Institute of Technology. And now, a million new friendships and innumerable memorable moments later, here I am on the threshold of graduation. Reminds me of the old song I was taught in school:

Where have all the flowers gone, long time passing,
Where have all the flowers gone, long time ago ...

A few more months and we will all be going our separate ways. A new beginning, a new world, and hopefully new friends, in lives forever altered. There are days when I look upon this positively, with enthusiasm and energy, as around the next corner lies challenges and thrills that, so far, we have only had occasional glimpses of. And yet there are invariably times when I experience a certain tightness in the chest - an inexplicable heartache. I find myself wishing that perhaps by some miracle we could start over - that perhaps even a few of the fleeting moments of happiness came to life again, drenching us anew with sheer heady excitement. Crushing, cruel reason barges in just then and slams the door of my imagination, bringing an abrupt end to my reverie, leaving nothing but a dull sadness in its wake.

The lines of a well-known song comes to mind just then ....

I was sitting on the edge of the bed,
Staring at the headlines on the paper,
It said 'Looking for Gene Kelly',
I guess he won't be singing in the rain,
You can take away all my heroes,
Can't you take away my pain ?

Can anyone ?

6 comments:

Vinay said...

Nostalgia relived dude :)

Roy said...

amen!

ScrewDriver said...

To the time we have left left in here. Cheers dude .. we will rock and make it memorable

Unknown said...

it is natural of you getting pensive and philosophical.
unfortunately, life moves on. and fortunately, we adapt to the change.
:)

we'll meet again my friend, some day soon

Abhishek Agarwal said...

About the songs 1st :

No1 taught me the 1st song, so umm.. thr..

The 2nd song is spposed to be 1 of my fav songs in the wing, no ?? :D . I hope tht reminded u of me ;) .

The rest ( tht includes the subject of teh post ) -> Oh well, enuff said.... CHEER UP :)

Abhishek Agarwal said...

Nostalgia , rite ??? I just went thru all ur posts. And all of mine. And all of Rave's..! ROFL ... Well thts nostalgia..!