Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Stopping by woods on a snowy evening


There was not a soul to be seen. A soft rustle was the sheer backdrop of a chilly evening. The light shone golden from the street lamps - the backwash, eerie and yet so beautiful. The pitch-black sky was tinged with violet at the rims, a gentle reminder of storms in the distance. Nature had rolled out her white carpet for mortals on earth. And I stood there watching and marvelling, as time stood still.

The sidewalks were treacherous - black, invisible ice ever threatening to pull out the carpet from underneath. The cars had gone missing, or perhaps immobilized by nature's soft rebuke. The air was crisp - the smell of moist earth trickling in, awakening the senses like no other. The chill had almost disappeared, leaving sweat underneath layers of winter clothing.

And there she was, stepping daintily out of the thicket, stopping midway across the street, and turning her full brown eyes upon me. I stared transfixed, unable to move lest I frighten her away. Light glinted off her dark skin and stray flakes were brushed off with a cursory shrug. She was a sight to behold!

The crisscrossing shadows were playing tricks with my eyes and suddenly I had become the primeval hunter and she, my game. In a game of cat-and-mouse, I had emerged victorious. But one look had gone straight to the heart, melting the wall of ice, and I couldn't bring myself to ring the death-knell for such a wonder. So I gazed on and on, willing the moment to last forever.

Crack!

The hitherto frozen trees trembled and creaked under the weight of fallen snow. Birds awakened from peaceful slumber voiced their raucous protest. The woods had come to sudden life and shook me from my reverie, as nature welcomed me back in her midst.

But the spell had broken. She slipped away quietly from whence she came, and I walked on alone in silence.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Psychedelic, though darker than previous.
please continue writing such.

swarnavo said...

Now I can recall. I saw her too. I liked the 'Crack!', heard it, saw it while reading. Nice intoxicating flow, just continue.....

Anonymous said...

gud post man...interesting depiction of a common experience!

KT said...

dude...marvellous writing style...I guess you should continue this plot..I can see it has the potential of an interesting saga..a story of Roald dahl league..if it can be kept off the romantic hue..i was expecting that it would go on..n suddenly i would be surprised to see the end i never expected.
Kudos!! keep it up.

KT