Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Musings ...

Just felt like writing, so here I am. These days I am really busy with music practices as the Foundation Day production of ETMS (Eastern Technology Music Society for the uninitiated) is just around the corner. In many ways, my being a part of this is like a dream come true, as ever since my first year -- as I took my first tremulous steps down the path of IIT life -- the ETMS was like the pinnacle of musical excellence. I was an aspiring singer at that time, having never had the courage to even hold a guitar in my hands while I was in school. Instead I concentrated solely on singing, even though I wasn't all that good at it. Hence, the auditions of the ETMS presented a window of opportunity for me, as I wanted nothing better than to croon those notes in front of a cheering audience. The feeling, I was sure, would be heady, and as if caught up in the frantic race for recognition, I dreamt on. The much-vaunted plans never saw the light of day, however, as due to certain unforeseen circumstances I couldn't even attend the auditions, let alone get selected. Hence, the ETMS remained what it represented to me at the time - a Mt. Everest that was to be looked up to, but that lay out of reach of the mere mortal that was me.

That was in my first year -- when I was still unsure of my surroundings, unsure of my abilities as a musician and most of all, unsure of my future. I had secured a less-than-noteworthy rank in the JEE and hence had to bear the ignominy of studying in the Department of Mathematics that epitomised the fears of many an innocent onlooker. I was not sure whether I would ever be able to perform on the same stage as some of the best musicians of Kharagpur. I wasn't even sure I would be able to cope up with the pressures of studying in one of the toughest departments of the Institute, at least in terms of grades. Or so I thought.

Three years down the line, and things have taken an altogether different hue. I have managed to not only touch the pinnacle that is the ETMS but am actually involved in a major way. And that too as a guitarist. There were times during this long "graduation" when I felt lost, and was tempted to give it all up. However, I realise now that the fact that I did not get into the society earlier than this has actually been a blessing in disguise. It gave me more time to come to terms with my instrument and made me a better musician. Of course the constant exchange of ideas with perhaps the most gifted musician of my batch, one Mr. Kartik Varadpande, was a tremendous boost for me at every stage and for that I am extremely grateful.

They say, "Failures are the stepping-stone to success" -- and not without reason too....

3 comments:

Sunny said...

Well... Apro being out and out modest, he hasnt mentioned in this post that he's probably the best in terms of musical talent as far as IIT Kgp is concerned. But anyways, I doubt if anyone here needs to be told that.

Congrats dude...way to go...

And yes, the department of Mathematics epitomises the fears of not just innocent onlookers... but i guess those of its hapless students too!

Anonymous said...

"I have managed to not only touch the pinnacle that is the ETMS but am actually involved in a major way."

well wat can b said bout that but the fella is really modest.Infact it had been a dream for me to share the stage with apro.I was very impressed with the musical aptitude of this guy right since my first year.But due to some unavoidable reasons he cudnt b a part of my first-ever stage show.After 3 years,thre we r.....gunning to rock the stage together for the first time.And i m really excited bout it.And dude,frankly speaking,of all the last year's musicians of ETMS i miss the guitarist LEAST!all coz of u.....way to go...cheers!!!

Anonymous said...

well what can i say ... thanx dudes !!!!